Serve at Living Faith
Goal of Position
The purpose of this position is to provide safe, nurturing childcare for babies, toddlers, and younger preschoolers during worship service so that parents and guardians can worship without distraction and young children’s first experiences in our church are loving and positive.
Karen Birdwhistell, Nursery Coordinator / Children’s Ministry Leader
- Provide safe and nurturing childcare for babies, toddlers, and younger preschoolers during worship services in a way that reflects God’s love.
- Notify the nursery coordinator ahead of time if not able to fulfill nursery duties on scheduled day.
- Report to the nursery 10 minutes prior to worship service hour.
- Store any personal items out of reach of children (including cell phones)
- Wash hands in preparation to receive and care for the children.
- Greet each parent and child; always be friendly, kind and patient.
- Make sure each parent signs their child IN, and presents their parent security tag when picking up and signing child out.
- Label diaper bags (or hang on hook with name in nursery)
- If all children are not well-known by nursery workers, write child’s name on label sticker and place on back of child.
- Change diapers/clothing as necessary. (Follow diaper changing procedures posted by diaper changing station.)
- Rock, play with, sing to, play music for and show picture books to babies / toddlers.
- Interact with younger preschoolers in ways that interest them – games, toys, books, art activities.
Nursery Workers serve on teams that are scheduled on a rotating basis, approximately every 5 weeks, during the Sunday morning worship hour.
A training session will be provided by the Nursery Coordinator. Attendance at the training is mandatory.
Qualifications and Special Skills
All nursery workers above the age of 18 must pass a Criminal Background Check before serving in the
Nursery workers should be also be willing/able to:
- Attend to children’s physical needs.
- Talk to and listen to children in a way that reflects God’s love for them.
- Care for children’s needs in a loving, nurturing manner
- Be committed to showing up and serving at assigned times.
- Follow church nursery guidelines as provided.
Benefits to this Position
There are many expectations of volunteers who serve in the nursery, but in doing so, workers will also benefit greatly by receiving the blessing of servitude, the blessing of influence, and the blessing of friendship. When we serve in the nursery, we create a loving environment that makes children feel safe, and when we meet their needs and talk to them about how much God loves them, we influence their spiritual development. Faithful nursery workers get to see children on a regular basis grow from newborns to infants to walking, talking, and eventually toddlers and preschoolers, while sharing with them about the love of Jesus. We also see the fruit of faithfulness by the relationships we build with other nursery workers and with the parents of the children to whom we are ministering. All of these blessings are avenues to growing in faith and deeper commitment to serving God.